In Canada, the price of legal marijuana ranges from about $8-$15 CDN dollars a gram,
and $30-$50 CDN dollars per 1/8 ounce (3.5 grams) depending on the type and location.
In the United States, there is more variation in prices because individual states regulate marijuana, rather than nationally* — the price of an eighth (1/8 of an ounce) ranges from $30-$65 dollars.
In Uruguay, the only other country besides Canada to have nationally legalized recreational use of marijuana (in 2013), the cost of marijuana is $1 gram, which is about $3.50 for an eighth of an ounce.
Here’s a chart:
|Country||Gram Price Avg.*||1/8 Oz Price Avg*|
|The United States**||$13||$40|
**Cannabis is still illegal on a national level in The United States
***Price set by Uruguay government, but supply is an issue — so $3, and an eight around $10 might be more accurate on secondary market.
Interesting Price Stats and Facts:
- Cannabis costs about 30% less in Canada than in the USA. – Source: Priceonomics/WikiLeaf
- Marijuana costs almost 50% more in San Francisco compared to Portland, Oregon. – Source: WikiLeaf
- In Canada, the current and historic price of marijuana is tracked by StatsCan, worth having a look at their data.
- Japan is the most expensive place to buy Marijuana illegally. Source: Cannabis Price Index
- Online weed sales sold out on the first day of legalization in Canada in many places.
- Online dispensaries cost about the same as physical dispensaries. For example, WeedSmart.ca sells 1/4 oz for $80 CDN.
How much does cannabis cost where you live?
Please leave a comment and let us know!