Amazon Associates has been cutting back on their affiliate program for almost a decade, and is not the great partner it used to be. Especially for growing supplies, smoking accessories and CBD products.
Many cannabis-website webmasters supplemented their income with Amazon associates, but now affiliate commission rates have been reduced to a fraction or completely wiped out.
Here is my list of best alternatives to the Amazon affiliate program including advertising networks and top affiliate programs with the best marketing tools for their partners.
Affiliate Networks with Cannabis Merchants
If you are unfamiliar with affiliate networks, they are sort of like Amazon’s affiliate program…except with many different online brands (aka merchants).
Each merchant uses the networks interface to interact with affiliates (you), who have an audience they can help market the merchant’s products and services to. Much like amazon associates, affiliate networks use special links to track clicks and sales.
CJ Affiliate Network
CJ.com (aka commission junction) is one of the biggest affiliate networks online with some of the biggest brands across a range of industries. If you aren’t already a CJ affiliate, it’s worth signing up as they are one of the biggest & oldest networks around.
And in recent years, have added cannabis-related partners and currently has a few dozen CBD, smoking and vaping related merchants including:
- JustCBD – CBD gummies, bath bombs, protein bars, isolate and other unique items like CBD honey sticks and infused coconut oil. 18% commission
- AirVape USA – 15% commission on sales. Wholesale and dropshipping available.
ShareASale Advertising Network
Shareasale.com – Shareasale is one of the largest, longest running, and most reputable affiliate networks. Sign up for an account to access the affiliate programs for many merchants ranging including:
- Tommy Chong’s brand of CBD products that maybe the most recognizable brand with the popularity of Cheech and Chong and Chong’s ongoing support of cannabis legalization. (It is one of the most clicked links on my page!)
- SuperCloset.com – High-end grow boxes, cabinets, and rooms plus hydroponic systems and LED grow lights.
- EveryoneDoesIt – Online smoke shop with datafeeds and other tools to help more advanced affiliates. Huge selection of bongs, pipes, vapes, smoking accessories. Default commission is 10%.
- GreenGoddessSupply – Another online smoke shop affiliate program with a wide-range of products including glass, grinders, vapes and various bundles (great gift ideas). The commission is 10-18% depending on volume.
CannAffiliate is a smaller, but cannabis-only affiliate network with merchants that include dispensaries, CBD brands, vaporizers and more including:
- Dr. Dabber – Well-known brand of High-end vaporizers, price point is high, so a few sales a month can add up to decent commissions.
- …and about 6 other programs a the time of writing this article.
Similar to Amazon, one of the nicest things about going through an affiliate network is that payments from many merchants are consolidated into monthly payouts via the network. It makes accounting much easier to get paid from one source vs 50 merchants each paying you separately.
Other Good Alternatives to Amazon Affiliates
These merchants and brands have quality affiliate programs with proper tools like subID tracking, deep linking, custom landers, useful reporting and datafeeds. Bonus points for well-know brands!
Grasscity.com – Well-known, large online magazine and headshop. Bongs, Bubblers, Vaporizers and much more.
Ilovegrowingmarijuana.com (ILGM) – Seeds and growing supplies. Many useful tools and resources affiliates including deep link generators, and free ebooks on how to grow marijuana. Ships to USA, Australia, New Zealand, and UK.
Alternatives to Alternatives (other places to look):
Beyond the affiliate model, which is generally a CPA or CPS model (cost-per-acquisition, cost-per-sale), some alternatives you might want to consider for replacing your dwindling amazon revenue include:
Google Adsense – also not as good as it used to be; Google Adsense! However, it is incredibly easy to implement and can be a passive-income generator for content-heavy websites.
Fiverr – You can sell your advertising space (or soul) on fiverr, a marketplace that puts all sorts of services and buyers together — have a look at what others are doing in the cannabis-space for ideas.
Adistry – Find advertising & sponsorship for your cannabis-related publications. If you have a high-end, high-traffic site, social media, podcast, etc this seems worth looking into. I have no personal experience with this company, but seems to have a decent user-base of medium-large traffic websites. Unlike every other service listed here, they charge publishers rather than advertisers.
More Resources for Affiliates
Tools for Affiliates – Growing list of website services, seo tools and helpful links including the one’s I use on this site or on my other projects.
Cannabis Affiliate Programs (full-list) – If you are looking for more programs check out this guide with every legitimate cannabis affiliate program I can find.
How are your amazon earnings doing compared to previous years? Which networks or affiliate programs do you recommend? Leave a comment and let me know, thanks!